Victoria L. Awkward, Director of VLA DANCE, is invested in dance as a conduit for communal care. Practicing that care and translating it to actions which create Freedom for people of all identities, especially those of us with less privilege, is the basis for VLA DANCE.
There are five concrete ways this value system will look in the next coming year.
1. Continue and increase our weekly class offerings
2. Present a new show, in partnership with Hibernian Hall, our home base in Nubian Square
3. Produce the second annual POLLEN, our journal written by the VLA artists. This iteration will look at the histories of two Boston communities we work in, Roxbury and the South End
4. Focus on fundraising to pay regular fees for our administrative team, Director Victoria and Company Manager Michayla, creating sustainability for our company
5. Work to increase the hourly rate of the dancers that we are working with from $14 - $16 to $21- $24 (calculated by MIT as the living wage for Boston)
Learn more about our financial story in the financial transparency project here.
NOTES FROM OUR DANCERS
"VLA DANCE has been crucial to me this past year in a myriad of ways. At the base of it, I am so lucky to be able to dance during this time. On top of that, to move in a safe environment. On top of that, to share this movement with my fellow company members and collaborators—continually learning from and inspiring each other—and eventually, share it with an audience in live and virtual performances! And last, but not least, to begin to work towards earning a living doing all the above. What gifts VLA DANCE has brought me: movement, community, knowledge, inspiration, abundance." - Sasha Peterson
"I feel so grateful to have found such an incredible and inspiring community at VLA DANCE. Victoria’s focus on community empowerment through dance fosters so much joy, creativity, and connection in a way that I have never experienced anywhere else. To see a team of strong individuals not much older than myself build this company from the ground up fills me with ambition to make and produce my own work someday. I love how VLA DANCE collaborates with so many other artists, and I’m honored to be a part of the company and its growth!" - Cassie Wang
hear from more dancers here
VLA DANCE ANNUAL FUND
Photos by Melissa Blackall